Tuesday, June 28, 2011

What IT departments can learn from Braveheart #edtech #iste11

I have to admit I am a fan of the movie Braveheart. If you have seen it you know there are quite a few notable quotes in the movie. One of the quotes that has always stuck with is this one:
"There's a difference between us. You think the people of this land exist to provide you with position. I think your position exists to provide those people with freedom. And I go to make sure they have it." - William Wallace to Robert the Bruce
The more I think about this quote I think it can apply perfectly to an IT department. While not always the case today, all to often IT departments have the idea that they need to lock down their network, and serve as the police of the network. I know. I have been there. And I am ashamed to say I have put processes in place to lock things down. However, I have seen the light. And I am working hard to get us out of the police business. If you take out the word 'land' in the above quote an replace it with network, it really hits home.
"There's a difference between us. You think the people of this network exist to provide you with position. I think your position exists to provide those people with freedom. And I go to make sure they have it."
The network doesn't exist to provide the IT department with jobs. It also doesn't exist so that we can limit its use. The network is there to support creativity and innovation, to allow collaboration and communication, and to facilitate data analysis and problem solving. The network is there to provide freedom. And our IT departments are there to make sure we have it!

No comments:

Post a Comment