Google Doc link: http://bit.ly/lf5klr
Copyright Friendly Image Sources
You may still need to attribute the source!
Creative Commons Search Engine
Please note that search.creativecommons.org is not a search engine, but rather offers convenient access to search services provided by other independent organizations. CC has no control over the results that are returned. Do not assume that the results displayed in this search portal are under a CC license. You should always verify that the work is actually under a CC license by following the link. Since there is no registration to use a CC license, CC has no way to determine what has and hasn't been placed under the terms of a CC license. If you are in doubt you should contact the copyright holder directly, or try to contact the site where you found the content.
Google Images - Using Advanced search (with usage rights)
Verify the license type, you still may need to attribute the author based on the type of license.
Creative Commons licensed photo search through Flickr:
Attribution means:You let others copy, distribute, display, and perform your copyrighted work - and derivative works based upon it - but only if they give you credit.
Noncommercial means:You let others copy, distribute, display, and perform your work - and derivative works based upon it - but for noncommercial purposes only.
No Derivative Works means:You let others copy, distribute, display, and perform only verbatim copies of your work, not derivative works based upon it.
Share Alike means:You allow others to distribute derivative works only under a license identical to the license that governs your work.
The Gallery is making the Materials available for limited non-commercial, educational, and personal use only, in accordance with the fair use provisions of the copyright laws. Users may download these files for their personal or educational use, subject to any additional terms or restrictions, which may be applicable to the individual file or program. Users must cite the author and source of the Materials as they would material from any printed work, and the citations should include the URL "http://artgallery.yale.edu" in addition to all copyright and any proprietary notices contained on the Materials. Any use of the Materials that does not qualify as fair use is subject to the Gallery's prior written approval, and the user must request and receive such approval prior to any use. Copying or redistribution in any manner for commercial use, including commercial publication, or for personal gain is strictly prohibited, without the express prior written permission of the Gallery or the relevant third-party rights holder, as the case may be.
Pics4Learning is a copyright-friendly image library for teachers and students. The Pics4Learning collection consists of thousands of images that have been donated by students, teachers, and amateur photographers. Unlike many Internet sites, permission has been granted for teachers and students to use all of the images donated to the Pics4Learning collection.
You are free:
- Remix — to adapt the work.
- Commercial — to use this work for commercial purposes.
- Without Attribution — to use without attributing the original author.
Under the following conditions:
- Stand alone basis — You can not sell, license, sub-license, rent, transfer or distribute this image exactly as it is without alteration.
- Ownership — You may not claim ownership of this image in its original state.
- Any of the above conditions can be waived if you get permission from the contributor.
- Nothing in this license impairs or restricts the author's moral rights.
StockXChng (now part of Getty Images)
You may use the Image(s)
- In digital format on websites, multimedia presentations, broadcast film and video, cell phones.
- In printed promotional materials, magazines, newspapers, books, brochures, flyers, CD/DVD covers, etc.
- Along with your corporate identity on business cards, letterhead, etc.
- To decorate your home, your office or any public place.
Always ask permission from the photographer if you want to use the Image
- In website templates that You intend to sell or distribute.
- For creating printed reproductions that You intend to sell.
- On "print on demand" items such as t-shirts, postcards, mouse pads, mugs (e.g. on sites like Cafepress), or on any similar mass produced item that would contain the Image in a dominant way.
The Wikimedia Foundation owns almost none of the content on Wikimedia sites — it is owned by the individual creators. However, almost all may be freely reused without individual permission according to the terms of the particular license under which it was contributed to the project, but some licenses may require that the original creator be attributed. You do not need to obtain a specific statement of permission from the licensor (unless you wish to use the work under different terms than the license stated).
This site links to many other collections. Each individual collection has its own copyright rules, but many only require proper attribution of the work used.
A credit line should be used in connection with the images and should read "NASA/courtesy of nasaimages.org."
If the NASA images obtained from NASAIMAGES.ORG are used for commercial purposes (including advertisements or packaging), such use may not suggest, either explicitly or implicitly, that NASA endorses any commercial goods or services.
Most NOAA photos and slides are in the public domain and CANNOT be copyrighted.
There is no fee for downloading any images on the NOAA Photo Library. Educational use is encouraged as the primary goal of the NOAA Photo Library is to help all understand our oceans and atmosphere so as to be better stewards of our environment for future generations.
A few photos in the NOAA Photo Library that are known to have copyright restrictions are so noted in the caption information associated with those images.
Credit MUST be given to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration/Department of Commerce. Where a photographer is noted, please credit the photographer and his/her affiliated organization as well.
1) ANYONE, by which we mean commercial and non-commercial alike, can use FreeFoto.com images in an online setting, providing they provide attribution to the image and a link back to FreeFoto.com (either the image or the main site). This license allows blogs, social networking sites and use in emails, just to name a few, providing they provide the required attribution, this includes sites that pay people to write, carry advertising or are selling and promoting products. The only requirement the attribution and link back.
2) Under the Creative Commons license for non-commercial, no derivatives, attribution license (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/). This provides for use in any media providing it is not for commercial purposes and they are not making a derivative image or gallery. This allows use such as for an artist to paint based on one of our images, provided they don't sell the painting, or to be used in school work or college projects.
Creative commons license applies. You must attribute the author.